Friday, October 23, 2009

You Can't Teach Interesting

One of my graduate professors told me once that you can't reach a person how to be interesting. You either are or you are not. This may be true. However, in light of a recent conversation with my wife, I'm wondering if this has more to do with the person making the observation of the individual in question. In other words, is it because I AM boring or because YOU THINK I'm boring that makes me boring? Maybe like beauty, boring is in the eye of the beholder. I remember when I was a kid having to hang out with my parents and their friends one afternoon. All they wanted to do was talk! How boring!!! Now that I'm older, I find enjoyment in conversations with friends. Maybe the "un-interesting" has more to do with context than the personality of the individual. Or maybe you've fallen asleep reading this blog. Either way, one man's boring is another man's enjoyment.

No comments: